Veteran’s Benefits – highlight on the SAH – (Specially Adapted Housing Grant)

If you are a United States Military Veteran living with a disability – the VA provides generous benefits that can greatly increase your quality of life.  One of those grants is the SAH – specially adapted housing grant.  This grant can assist veterans with service connected injuries with home modifications, construction, or accessible modifications that increase your independence and safety at home.
To determine eligibility for this grant very specific guidelines exist to distinguish your level of need.  Some eligibility requirements may include: amputation, or loss of use of both legs; amputation or loss of use of both arms; certain severe burns; blindness with only light perception plus loss of or weakness in one leg; severe respiratory injuries; and amputation or loss of use of one or more leg due to service on or after 9-11-2001 which necessitates the use of an assistive device (such as wheelchair, walker, cane, crutches) for mobility.  Additionally other injuries or combinations of injuries may make one eligible for the SAH grant or SHA grant through the Veteran’s Administration.
Benefits for this grant program may amount up to $64,960 for the fiscal year of 2013.  A veteran may receive a maximum of 3 grants up to this dollar amount, and present with a permanent disability.
In order to apply for this benefit, individuals should fill out VA form 26-4555 Application in Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing or Special Home Adaptation Grant.
This form can be obtained by calling 1-800-827-1000 to have the form mailed to you, by stopping by your regional VA office, or downloading the form online at  If you have more questions regarding the SAH or SHA loans or requirements for the VA please contact an SAH staff member at 877-827-3702.
BILD is a qualified remodeler for veteran grant programs and specializes in accessible remodeling.  Call BILD today for a free consultation at 262-671-2032 (WI) or 847-453-8866 (IL)